Joseph J. Maraziti, Jr.
Joseph J. Maraziti, Jr.
Joseph Maraziti represents both public and private sector clients in regulatory, transactional and litigation matters having local and national significance involving environmental and redevelopment issues. He has many years of experience representing public sector clients throughout New Jersey in redevelopment projects, condemnation, land use, real estate transactions and litigation in federal and state courts. He is well-versed in redevelopment law.
With decades of experience in legal issues related to infrastructure and the environment, Mr. Maraziti is an active leader and driving force in the redevelopment arena. He served as Chairman of the New Jersey State Planning Commission, which adopted the State Development and Redevelopment Plan in 2001. In that role, he worked with the Governor’s cabinet, counties, local communities and the private sector to ensure that development and redevelopment in New Jersey enhance the quality of life for all citizens.
Mr. Maraziti has been frequently recognized as a leader in his field and for his many contributions. He is a member of The Counselors of Real Estate (CRE), a membership organization of high-profile property professionals. New Jersey Future awarded him with the Cary Edwards Leadership Award. In 2017 he was honored by New Jersey Planning Officials with the President’s Award. Mr. Maraziti has been continuously identified since 2007 as a New Jersey Super Lawyer in environmental law by New Jersey Monthly.
Cary Edwards Leadership Award:
Mr. Maraziti was the 2014 New Jersey Future Smart Growth Award recipient of the Cary Edwards Leadership Award, which is given to an individual who has done outstanding work to improve the quality of life in New Jersey.
CRE (Counselor of Real Estate)
Mr. Maraziti was awarded the CRE (Counselor of Real Estate) designation by The Counselors of Real Estate (www.cre.org). He was recognized for his focus on redevelopment, environmental and land use law and regulation. The organization is an international group of high-profile real estate practitioners who provide expert advisory services to clients on complex real estate property and land-related matters. Although Counselors represent a wide variety of backgrounds, very few are lawyers.
Membership in The Counselors of Real Estate is selective, extended by invitation only, attesting to the practitioner’s proven competence in his or her area of real estate specialty. Members receive the CRE Designation in recognition of superior problem-solving ability in his respective areas of practice. regarding real property matters. Once invited to membership, CREs must adhere to a strict Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Practice. Their peers recognize CREs as having consistently demonstrated the highest level of knowledge, experience, integrity, and judgment in the practice of real estate.
- “Sea Level Rise,” The Star Ledger, August 20, 2017.
- “New Legal Tools for Redevelopment,” October 2014, New Jersey League of Municipalities – a NJLM Educational Foundation
- “New Legal Tools for Redevelopment,” Friends of Local Government Policy Paper Series – Volume 6, Number 1 – April 2014, New Jersey League of Municipalities – Education Foundation, Inc.
- “Meeting The Challenge of Vacant Office Space,” New Jersey Municipalities, June 2013
- “New Rules a Disaster for Affordable Housing”, Daily Record, Morris County, New Jersey, June 8, 2009
- “Hostile Affordable Housing Rules Potential Disaster in NJ,” The New Jersey Planner, July/August 2008.
- “Don’t Cripple Eminent Domain,” The New York Times, March 11, 2007.
- “It’s Crunch Time For the State Plan,” New Jersey Lawyer, Volume Thirteen, Number Five, February 2, 2004.
- “Contaminated Real Estate: Ugly Frog to Charming Prince?,” The Morris Lawyer, May 1997.
- “How Clean is Clean?,” New Jersey Law Journal, February 26, 1996.
- “Private Party Cleanups: Do it Right the First Time,” Environmental Law Section of the New Jersey Bar Association
- “Does Whitman’s DEP Offer a New Deal,” New Jersey Law Journal, February 20, 1995.
- “Morris 2000: A Citizens’ Forum for Regional Problem Solving,” New Jersey Bell Journal, Volume Ten, Number Three, Special Issue, 1987
- “Municipal Response to Hazardous Waste, The Boonton Decision: Making Polluters Pay,” New Jersey Municipalities, published by the New Jersey State League of Municipalities, June, 1987
- “Local Governments: Opportunities to Recover for Natural Resource Damages,” Environmental Law Reporter, published by the Environmental Law Institute, Washington, D.C., February, 1987
- “Big “R”, little “r”: 2017 Highlights of Redevelopment and redevelopment,” NJ APA, January 25, 2018, Joseph J. Maraziti, Jr., panelist, Hyatt Regency, New Brunswick, NJ.
- “William M. Cox Symposium on Planning, Land Use and the Law,” New Jersey Planning Officials, November 16, 2017, Joseph J. Maraziti, Jr., Panelist, NJ League of Municipalities, Atlantic City, NJ
- “Redevelopment and Utility Infrastructure Improvements,” AEA Spring Utility Management Conference, April 25, 2017, Joseph J. Maraziti, Jr., speaker, Caesar’s, Atlantic City, NJ.
- “Municipal Profit Sharing in Redevelopment,” New Jersey Future Redevelopment Forum, March 10, 2017, Joseph J. Maraziti, Jr., speaker, Hyatt Regency, New Brunswick, NJ.
- “Suburban Office Campuses – Ripe for Redevelopment Area Designation?,” 2017 ICLE Redevelopment Law Institute, February 10, 2017, Joseph J. Maraziti, Jr., speaker, Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel, Iselin, NJ.
- “Rebuilding Water Infrastructure: One Redevelopment Project at a Time,” New Jersey Future 2016 Redevelopment Forum, March 11, 2016, Joseph J. Maraziti, Jr., Moderator, Hyatt Regency, New Brunswick, NJ.
- “Newark NJ Being Transformed – Newark Redevelopment: Beyond Prudential and Panasonic,” January 29, 2016, 2016 Annual Redevelopment Law Institute, Joseph J. Maraziti, Jr., Moderator, New Jersey Law Center, New Brunswick, NJ.
- “Redevelopment/Rehabilitation Legal Issues and Process,” Value Research Group, January 8, 2016, Joseph J. Maraziti, Jr., speaker, Livingston, NJ.
- “New Tools for Redevelopment and Rehabilitation” New Jersey League of Municipalities Convention, November 2014, Joseph J. Maraziti, Jr., speaker, Atlantic City Convention Center.
- September 22, 2014, Joseph J. Maraziti, Jr. was the Moderator on Redevelopment in New Jersey – Legal Changes and New Resources to Achieve Success at the 2014 Governor’s Conference on Housing and Economic Development at the Atlantic City Convention Center
- March 14, 2014, Joseph J. Maraziti, Jr., New Jersey Future Redevelopment Forum 2014. Mr. Maraziti was the Moderator on Redevelopment without Eminent Domain. This event was held at the Hyatt Hotel, New Brunswick, NJ.
- January 23 -24, 2014, Joseph J. Maraziti, Jr., American Planning Association, New Jersey Chapter, Annual Planning Conference. Mr. Maraziti was a panelist on Redevelopment 2014: New Tools to Achieve Results. This event was held at the Hyatt Regency, New
- October 24, 2013, Maraziti, Falcon & Healey, LLP, held a seminar on New Redevelopment Tools, which was held at Hilton East Brunswick Hotel, East Brunswick, NJ.
- July 12, 2013, Joseph J. Maraziti, Jr., Reinventing New Jersey’s Obsolete Suburban Office Campus – The Local and Statewide Impacts. Mr. Maraziti was a panelist on Concerns, Imperatives, and Future Strategies. This event was held at Edward J. Bloustein S
- “Redevelopment Property Acquisition – Facilitate It With Incentive Zoning,” 2013 Annual Redevelopment Law Institute, New Jersey Law Center, New Brunswick, NJ, February 2013
- “Redevelopment 101: The Fundamentals,” New Jersey Future Webinar, February 2013
- “The Power of Rehabilitation: Similar to redevelopment but without as much controversy,” October 2011
- “Boonton Commercial Revitalization Forum Program,” Boonton High School, October 2011
- “Gritty Cities: Perth Amboy: Successful Redevelopment Initiatives,” Urban Land Institute North New Jersey, Princess Cornucopia Cruise Lane, Perth Amboy, August 2011
- “Redevelopment is Essential if New Jersey Is To Grow and Prosper,” Rutgers Continuing Studies – Center for Government Services, “Current Issues in Planning and Zoning,” East Windsor Holiday Inn and Conference Center, June 2011
- “Response Panel: New Jersey Growth Strategy: Integrating Policies,” Plan Smart New Jersey, Impacting Economic Expansion and Retention in New Jersey: A Land Use Perspective, June 2011
- “Use of Powers of Eminent Domain in the Context of Redevelopment,” Environmental Laws Society at Rutgers Law School in Newark, April 2011
- “Municipal Land Use Law and the Federal Fair Housing Act,” 2011 Fair Housing Workshop, Passaic County Department of Planning, Passaic County Department of Economic Development, February 2011
- “State Planning Act/Redevelopment,” 2011 Redevelopment Law Conference, Institute for Continuing Legal Education, New Brunswick, January 2011
- “How Municipalities Can Create A Redevelopment Identity: A Key Element for Economic Success,” New Jersey State League of Municipalities Annual Conference, Atlantic City Convention Center, November 2010
- “Leadership in Planning,” APA/NJ Planning Conference, American Planning Association New Jersey Chapter and The Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, November 2010
- “Creating A Redevelopment Identity,” New Jersey Redevelopment Agency – Governor’s Conference on Housing & Community Development, Atlantic City Convention Center, Atlantic City, September 2010
- “Planning Issues in New Jersey – The State Plan, Smart Growth and Redevelopment,” New Jersey Institute of Technology, September 2010
- “Redevelopment 101,” City of Hoboken, August 2010
- “Smart Growth and the State Plan,” Environmental Land Use Law and Regulations, Cook College, New Brunswick, June 2010
- “Lessons Learned: Practice Tips Emerging From Recent Case Law and the Economy,” New Jersey Future Redevelopment Forum 2010, Hyatt Hotel and Conference Center, New Brunswick, March 2010
- “HOW TO ANSWER AUTHORITY CRITICS: What do you say when asked why an Authority is important and necessary?,” Association of Environmental Authorities – Utility Management Conference, Trump Marina, Atlantic City, March 2010
- “Case Law Update – post Gallenthin,” Institute for Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) 2010 Redevelopment Law Conference, Edison, January 2010
- “State Plan – Focusing on Whether the State Plan can be Implemented and What it Means for Economic Development, Environmental Policy and Housing for the Garden State,” New Jersey State League of Municipalities – League Joint Session with New Jersey Planni
- “FAITH, FINANCE AND THE FUTURE – Understanding Recovery Zone Bonds,” New Jersey Redevelopment Agency – Governor’s Conference on Housing & Community Development, September 2009
- “Smart Growth and the State Plan,” Environmental Land Use Law and Regulations, Cook College, New Brunswick, June 2009
- “Rezone, Rehabilitate or Redevelop; Negotiating the Redevelopment Agreement Municipal Side/Redeveloper Side (Profit and Non-Profit),” and “Recent Redevelopments in Litigation,” New Jersey Redevelopment Authority, April 2009
- “Redevelopment and Rehabilitation,” New Jersey Future Redevelopment Forum 2009, February 2009
- “Change from Non-Residential to Residential Use (Sec. 6 of Robert’s Bill) and Non-Residential Development Fee When Existing Improvements are Taken Down,” Institute for Continuing Legal Education 2009 Redevelopment Law Conference, January 2009
- “Redevelopment: A Legal Update,” Regional Plan Association – New Jersey Mayor’s Institute on Community Design, January 2009
- “Growing New Jersey’s Economy in an Economic Crisis,” New Jersey Economic Development Authority, Governor’s Office on Economic Growth and the New Jersey Redevelopment Authority, October 2008
- “A-500’s Effect on Redevelopment,” New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education – Webinar Seminar, October 2008
- “LAW, PLAN, ACTION,” New Jersey Redevelopment Agency – Governor’s Conference on Housing & Community Development, September 2008
- “Amended Wastewater Management Rules,” Institute for Continuing Legal Education – Land Use, Water Quality and the Law, July 2008
- “The Hot Topics Roundtable – New Jersey Redevelopment 2008,” presented by Maraziti, Falcon & Healey, LLP, Newark, June 2008
- “Setting the State – Dynamics of Redevelopment in NJ; Adoption of the Redevelopment Plan; and Redevelopment Agreements,” New Jersey Redevelopment Authority Redevelopment Training Institute, April 2008
- “The Hot Topics Roundtable – New Jersey Redevelopment 2008,” presented by Maraziti, Falcon & Healey, LLP, Newark, April 2008
- “Smart Growth and the State Plan,” Environmental Law and Regulations Cook College, New Brunswick, February 2008
- “Low Impact Development,” Baykeeper, January 2008
- “Will the New Water Quality Management Rule Bring NJ Smart Growth?,” Association of Environmental Authorities, November 2007
- “Gallenthin v. Paulsboro,” New Jersey Redevelopment Authority Redevelopment Planning Process, November 2007
- “Water Infrastructure – New Jersey Status and Trends,” Clean Water Council of New Jersey Public Hearing on New Jersey’s Water Infrastructure, October 2007
- “Redevelopment Process and Issues,” Governor’s Conference on Housing and Community Development, September 2007
- “Obstacles to Sustainable Development,” Needs Assessment and Strategy Workshop to promote Sustainable Development in the Lower Hudson Valley, Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, June 2007
- “Redevelopment Planning Process,” New Jersey Redevelopment Authority Redevelopment Training Institute, October 2006 and April 2007
- “Generating ‘Green’ from Grey and Brown,” American Planning Association (New Jersey Chapter) – The Annual Planning Conference, October 2005
- “The Redevelopment Process,” Association of New Jersey Environmental Commissions 32nd Annual Environmental Congress, October 2005
- “Environment Day,” Leadership Morris, September 2005
- “Current Trends in State Planning,” Association of Environmental Authorities at the Commissioners’ Conference, June 2005
- “Issues Affecting Long Term Planning in New Jersey,” Association of Environmental Authorities at Rockaway Valley Regional Sewerage Authority, February 25, 2005
- “Smart Growth,” Cook College Continuing Professional Education Programs, Environmental Law and Regulations, New Brunswick, February 2005
- “State Development and Redevelopment Plan-Pending Changes,” National Association of Industrial and Office Properties – Land Use and Regulatory Issues Update, June 2004
- “Redevelopment Areas: Promoting Development in Your Community,” New Jersey Municipal Management Association – Economic Development Tools for Municipalities, May 2004
- “Redevelopment Areas: Promoting Development in Your Community,” County of Passaic, Department of Economic Development, March 2004
- “Environmental Law and Litigation,” Cook College Continuing Professional Education Programs, New Brunswick, February 2004
- “State Planning and Watersheds,” Association of Environmental Authorities, November 1998
- “New Jersey State Plan and Regulatory/Redevelopment Issues,” State Bar Association Land Use Board of Trustees
- “Incentives for Change: A State-Led Strategy for Collaboration and Innovation,” Institute for Sustainable Design, University of Virginia, October 1998
- “Contract Writing for the Solid Waste Management Professional,” Cook College Continuing Professional Education Programs, New Brunswick, June 1997
- “Contaminated Real Estate: Ugly Frog to Charming Prince? ,” Morris County League of Municipalities, Municipal Opportunities, April 1997
- “Wasteflow Control – Where Are We and How Did We Get There?,” Association of Environmental Authorities Commissioners Conference, June, 1996
- Participation in United States Environmental Protection Agency Permits Improvement Team Stakeholder Meeting, Newark, May 1995
- “Components of an Industrial Pretreatment Program,” Cook College, New Brunswick, April 1995
- “Authority Governance,” Association of Environmental Authorities Spring Conference, March, 1995
- “Legal Issues,” New Jersey Landfill Reclamation Seminar, sponsored by ACER Engineers and Consultants, October 1994
- “Environmental Cost-Recovery Opportunities for the Public Sector,” New Jersey Association of Counties Annual Conference, June 1994
- “Survey of Emerging Hot Topics Affecting Authorities; Solid Waste Flow Control; Environmental Justice and Host Community Benefit Legislation,” Association of Environmental Authorities Commissioners Conference, June, 1994
- “NJDEPE Voluntary Cleanup Program,” 10th Annual New Jersey Environmental Exposition, October 1993
- “City Government Case Study: Economic Development with Environmental Protection,” City of Perth Amboy Conference on Economic Development and the Environment, October 1993
- Participated in a Superfund Consortium, sponsored by ICMA Washington, D.C., March 9, 1993
- “Environmental Case Law and Litigation,” Fairleigh Dickinson University, Environmental Management for Business, College of Business Administration, February 1993
- “Environmental Balance,” Environmental Section of Leadership Morris, October 1992
- “Environmental Law for the General Practitioner, Morris County Bar Association,” Municipal Superfund Liability, May 1992
- “New Jersey’s Voluntary Cleanup Program – How Will It Work,” New Jersey State Bar, April 1992
- Environmental Law
- Redevelopment Law
- Local Government
- New Jersey, 1965
- United States District Court, 1965
- United States Supreme Court, 1969
- United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1980
- J.D., Fordham Law School, 1965
- B.S., Fordham College, 1962
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, Section of Natural Resources,
- Energy and Environmental Law, American Bar Association
- Associate, Environmental Law Institute
- Member, Environmental Law Section, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Former Chairman, New Jersey Future
- Master, Justice Stewart G. Pollock Environmental American Inn of Court
- Member, Board of Directors of Tri State Regional Plan Association
- Member, Board of Directors, New Jersey Committee of the Regional Plan Association (RPA) and Board of Directors, Tri-State organization
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Environmental Litigation
- Founding Chair, Environmental Law Committee, Morris County Bar Association
- Member, Subcommittee on the Environment of the 21st Century Task Force, General Assembly of the State of New Jersey
- Chairman, Morris 2000
- Member, Board of Trustees, New Jersey Future
- Member, Advisory Board, Alan M. Voorhees Transportation Center
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Madison, “Legal Issues,” September, 1978 to 1982